Powered By Blogger

Saturday 20 August 2022

THE GIRL I NEVER HAD, PART 27


I hid the envelope in my pocket and went to the classroom. I was still wondering what could be in the envelope. Could it be money? Could it be a letter? Could it be a cheque? Well, I would find out when I finally open it. I entered the classroom and spotted the empty seat which Lucy used to sit on. Her thoughts consumed my mind. Where could she be now? Was she still under "house arrest"? When would she be coming back to school? I also spotted JK's seat. I started recounting the risks I took together with my friends, and got to know that it was a pyrrhic victory that we had won. Now, the ultimate prize, Lucy, was nowhere to be found. The one person I loved and cherished most and the other one I hate to see were all absent. I went and sat down and tried to avoid eye contact with my 'CID'  mate till we closed.

I knew she would wait for me behind the toilet so I went straight there, when we dispersed from closing assembly. When I got there, she wasn't there so I decided to open the envelope and see what was in it. I opened it quickly and found out that it wasn't money or cheque that was in the envelope but it was a letter. I looked at the subscription and the name there was Lucy. My heart missed a beat when I saw her name. Before I started reading the letter, I made sure there was no one there.

The letter read, "Hi KD, I'm so sorry for what happened to you last Friday. I wish I had the chance to apologize to you personally, but I didn't get any. I hope you will find a place in your heart to forgive me for what I'm about to tell you. First of all, I will no longer be attending the same school with you. This is because my dad is taking me abroad to continue my education there. I know this will be a very hard blow for you, but trust me, I'm also hurting. I thought now that we have agreed to date, you were going to feed me with your love, but it never came to pass. I wish you all the best in your studies and I hope you will find another girl, who could love you and cherish your love. My mum told me you would come to our house last Sunday evening but you didn't. I had planned to tell you then, but because you didn't come that's why I wrote you this letter. I would be leaving for Accra this afternoon. I don't know if I can see you before I go. Goodbye."

My heart beat increased. I was shaking uncontrollably. I couldn't believe the love of my life was leaving me for good. She was traveling to a foreign. She wouldn't be coming back. Fear gripped me, pinned me down and made me incapable of thinking. I stood there in shock. Lucy said in her letter that she would be leaving for Accra that afternoon. I thought there was a chance that I would meet her in her house before she leaves. I folded the letter and put it in my pocket. Just when I was about to go, the 'CID' girl appeared. She was so optimistic that finally, she would get to taste my lips. I told her I was leaving. "Hey, you can't go. I'm sure you know the consequences of what that action could be?" she quizzed. "Look here girl, I don't care about what you know and who you want to tell. You can do it fast. I don't care anymore. Do as you wish girl," I replied her harshly. She wanted to hold my arm but I pushed her off which landed her on the floor. I overheard her saying she was going to report me, but I didn't bother.

I ran as fast as my legs could carry me to Lucy's house. I didn't even take my school bag. All that was important to me was to catch a last glance at Lucy. I was cock sure I would see her before she leaves, but there was another faint voice that kept on telling me to stop wasting my time, but I kept on running. Just when I was about to reach the house, I met that car. That posh car Lucy's mum was driving last Sunday. The car stopped, Lucy called me from the car and I went. She was weeping. She couldn't say anything, but her tears said it all. Her mum bid me goodbye, because they were running late. The car drove off. I couldn't control my tears. I couldn't control myself. I sat in the middle of the street and cried like a baby. I didn't care about cars approaching, or people looking at me, or the girl going to report me, or JK or even my partners in crime. All I cared about was the love I had lost. All that concerned me was the girl I never had.

#THE_END


No comments:

Post a Comment