Powered By Blogger

Saturday 20 August 2022

Be My Baby, Not My Maybe Part 7

As I watched the woman get closer to where we were, I saw that she was being pursued by a well-built man. The man was sweating and panting. She was crying out for help.  Was this a test for me to prove my bravery? Maybe yes, maybe no. Our elders say, "a sudden frightening occurrence knows no brave person." I've also learned that "the bravery of a lion doesn't protect it from the spear of a hunter." I needed to protect myself first before I would be able to protect others. I decided to tell my girl to open her eyes so that we could run away together. By the I turned to inform her, she was long gone. The love of my life has run away and left me there all alone to face the situation. She couldn't even wait for me to offer her protection. Has she lost that much faith in me?

“If while climbing a tree you insist on going beyond the top, the earth will be waiting for you.” The girl was long gone but, I still wanted to show my bravery to whoever was ready to witness. I stood in the middle of the road and raised my right signaling the man to stop. He kept on coming and shouted at me to move away from the road. I didn't listen. When he got to where I was standing, he gave me a powerful blow. The blow landed on my left eye, and it sent me straight to the ground. I sat on the ground and covered my left eye with my palms. It was so painful I thought my eye was going to fall out.

While I was sitting on the ground thinking of the pink eye that the man had given me, I heard someone approaching. It was her. Yes. The runaway lover. Has she come back to check whether I was still alive? Has she come back so that we could continue from where we left off? I wasn't in the right frame of mind. I wasn't in the mood to propose. She saw my swollen left eye. She got so worried. She apologized for leaving me behind to face it all by myself. I assured her everything was okay, and that, it wasn't even painful. But deep within me, I was hurting. The pain was extremely excruciating. 
But, she touched me. She touched my hand, and I felt something within me. It was a sweet touch. She held me by my right hand, and said, "KD, I know you wanted to tell me something. Can you please be quick about it? It's running late." "Sweetheart, I know you know I love you. I've loved you since the day I saw your note. Although I didn't know you were behind those notes, I fell in love with the person. Seeing you today has increased tremendously, the love that I have for you. Your love is like a burning flame in my heart. I can't quench it with water. It is only your love that can give me inner peace. Please, will you be my girlfriend?", I proposed to her. 
There was a long dramatic pause. She stood there motionless. I was on one knee, waiting patiently for her answer. My left eye was teary because of the pain I was going through. She was still not talking. I started growing impatient. I wish I had the power to make her talk, and answer in the affirmative. Finally, she looked me in the eyes and said, " KD, can we take it slow? I'll need time to think about it." 
That wasn't the answer I was waiting for. I sighed. Got up. With my head down. I was sad. I thought the world had just come to an end. I was powerless. I didn't know what to say. I thought the vibe was there. I thought she was in love with me so there was no way she was going to say give any answer aside from a big fat YES! I managed to say, "Okay." I told her I was going home. I took a step. I added another. I was hoping and praying she would call me back and tell me she had accepted my proposal. I took another step. The fourth. The fifth. The call never came. In the sixth step too, nothing came. I gave up. I lost hope. I took another step but this time, she called. "KD, when you get home, check your back pocket. Please, check it only when you are alone in your room. She let out these words and ran off. 
I was so curious that I dipped my hand into my back pocket right away. There was a note in there. I brought it out. It was nicely folded in the form of a heart. I unfolded it quickly and there it was. The answer I was waiting for. It was boldly written, " I WANT YOU TO BE MY BABY AND NOT MY MAYBE." After reading the note, I smiled.

No comments:

Post a Comment