Powered By Blogger

Monday 13 April 2020

Not This Time, Love Pt 1

Not This Time Love
When Frank, the new guy, told me he had received a letter from Prempeh College, I knew definitely that I would also be picked by the same school. I took our post office box key and rushed to the post office. I was so nervous I missed a step, tripped, and fell very hard on the ground. I heard one of the women selling by the roadside scream, "You are the fourth boy to fall at the same spot today. What could be wrong with the boys of today? Do you always have to stare at my sweet granddaughter? Can't you just look at her once and move on? ," she screamed.
I didn't even notice the girl that the woman was talking about, until I got up from the ground and set my eyes on that beautiful girl, laughing uncontrollably at me. I thought I should explain to the woman that I wasn't staring at her granddaughter, but I just kept mute, smiled, and walked away quietly. I decided that I wasn't going to take that route on my return. Why? Our elders say, "it is only a fool whose testicles are stepped on twice." But wait a minute, the girl I saw beside the woman was really pretty. When did such a pretty angel fall from heaven? I don't want to believe there has been any other banishment apart from that major one that saw Satan and his cohorts being driven away from heaven.
So who could this girl be? I haven't seen her in our not-so-big town before. Could she be spending the vacation with her grandmother? Oh, how I wish I could see her and.... ermmmmmmm maybe get to know her better. But I had made the decision already not to take that route on my return. I only hoped against hope that one day, someway somehow I would get the opportunity to meet her, and have a chat with her.
I got to the post office and dipped my hand into my pocket, but the key wasn't there. The only thought that came to my mind was that the key might have fallen out of my pocket when I fell. I didn't like the idea of going back there to search for my key but I had no option. I went back to the place to search for the key. Luckily for me, the woman wasn't there, except her granddaughter. I told her about my missing key, and she readily offered to help me in the search. A few minutes into the search, she found the key. Just when she was about to hand it over to me, her grandmother appeared. "You again? What is it that you want from my granddaughter? By the time I count to three, you must be gone," she told me angrily. I didn't want any "wahala"  so I took the key from the girl and vanished.
I got to the post office and opened the box. There were several letters in the box. I took all of them and went home. I started glancing through the letters. The only letter I was expecting to see was the one from Prempeh College, but sadly, it wasn't among the pile of letters. I was so disappointed. Suddenly, I remembered. I didn't use our post office number. I used that of my church. Just when I was about to go out to the mission house for the letter, I met the pastor's son at the gate. He handed over a letter to me and went away. I knew since even EK and MA got admission to pursue their secondary education at OWASS, there was no way I wouldn't be picked by my first choice school, Prempeh. I looked at the postal address that had been written at the back of the letter and I was shocked. I couldn't believe my eyes. "This must surely be a funny mistake," I said to myself. Yes, it was from a secondary school, but the school wasn't Prempeh College. It wasn't OWASS. It was from an unknown school. It was the first time I was seeing the name. How on earth will I be posted to such a school? Guess the school I got.
#to_be_continued

No comments:

Post a Comment