Powered By Blogger

Monday 13 April 2020

Not This Time, Love Pt 4

When the day came that I had to go to school, I packed my bag and baggage and sent them into an awaiting taxi. My mum was attending a program so I had to go with the taxi driver. I had never been to the school, but the taxi driver assured my mum that he knew there so he would take me there safe and sound. I sat at the front seat, with my chop box, luggage, bucket, mattress and my school bag at the back seat. I didn't like the idea of going to school in a taxi, but I took solace in the fact that it was a brand new car. I sat comfortably in the car, and the country music the taxi driver played just blew me away.
"Seein' you in my dreams
Holdin' you close to me
Oh, what else can it be?
It must be love.
It must be love
It must be love
I fall like a sparrow
Fly like a dove
You must be the dream
I've been dreamin' of
Oh, what a feelin'
It must be love."
That's my favorite part of Don Williams' song, "it must be love." it was as if someone had whispered into the ears of the taxi driver that I was faced with a love conundrum, so he should play the song over and over again to heal me.
When I finally got to the school, the taxi driver helped me to take my stuff to the boarding house. He helped me through all the necessary processes until I was shown my room and got a bed. I thanked him, and he went away. It was the first time the school was housing students as boarders. Although it was a mixed school, the boarding house was for boys only. The school was built on a piece of land, so one could take a tour of the school in 10 minutes. I sat on my bed and started arranging my stuff. We were supposed to be thirty students in the room, but only ten had reported.
After arranging my stuff, I laid on my bed and rested for a while. While I was on the bed, one boy came to my bed and initiated a conversation. He spoke so maturely, but his face looked young. I kept wondering if he was old or young. Although he was a first-year student like myself, he seemed to know a lot about life in the boarding house. He advised me to pray always, and read my Bible regularly. He said one more thing, and it got me frightened. It shook me and made me suspect every student in the school. He told me that some of the students carried bad spirits so I should be very careful. When I heard that, I became afraid and petrified. I decided not to make friends with anyone whether male or female.
The following day we went to the classroom. One senior came and handed over a bell to me when it was time for our first break. I felt ashamed. I wondered why of all the form one students, I had to be chosen as the bell boy. I told the senior that I wasn't going to ring the bell. He forcibly put the bell into my hand but I dropped the bell, and it fell on his left foot. He got infuriated and dragged me out of the classroom. Within a twinkle of an eye, I was surrounded by five seniors. They pushed me around until I fell very hard on my butt. I wanted to fight them, but I remembered I wasn't that strong to fight five well-built seniors. They made me kneel down. I started sobbing. Tears were running down my cheeks. I saw a girl approaching. Her face looked familiar. I quickly wiped away my tears, because I didn't want her to see me crying. That would be a sign of weakness. "But who could be this girl? She's definitely not one of my JSS mates.  She's not my church member, but her pretty face is very familiar," I muttered.
#to_be_continued

No comments:

Post a Comment