Powered By Blogger

Monday 13 April 2020

Not This Time, Love Pt 2

I sat down and cried. I cried because I couldn't believe I wouldn't get the chance to learn in the same school as my friends. JK, EK, and MA got OWASS, while Frank got Prempeh. And me? ADASS! Yeah, that was the school I got. I had not even heard the name before. I was so embarrassed to tell anyone about my school. I also didn't want to lie about the school I got, so I chose to stay in my room. I locked myself up in the room and refused to speak to anyone. Not my mum. Not Frank. Not EK. Not MA. Not even my pastor. I felt so disappointed. I had the same grade as Frank had, so why would I not gain,  admission to the same secondary school he did? The funny part was that I didn't even get the Science program I was looking for, but they gave me General Arts.
My mum was getting worried. She went out to call someone again. I wondered who else she would bring to my door. I was inside my room, still sobbing. I felt cheated. Yes, cheated. I couldn't get the school of my choice. I lost the only girl I had ever loved. I lost the opportunity to talk to that cute girl, who helped me find my post office box key. And now, I'm about to lose my friends. My partners in crime. Our beloved friendship would now be lost. Now, I would have to start afresh and make new friends. I wanted a single-sex school, but the school I got was mixed. If that wasn't an attempt by an invisible person to make me unhappy in school, then I wouldn't know what else he/she was trying to achieve. Just when I was crying over my woes, I heard a tap at the door. The person called my name. It wasn't my mum, but someone else. Who could it be?
At first, I didn't want to respond, but the person kept knocking and calling my name. I went to the door, opened the door gently but not widely. I was shocked to see her. She was the least of the people I was expecting to see in my house at that particular point in time. I knew my act got my mum worried, but I never imagined it would drive her that far to go and convince her to come and speak to me. I didn't even know she was in the country. That was the first time I was seeing her after I saw her in the car some time ago. I didn't know what the motivation of her coming to my room to talk to me would be, especially now that she had succeeded in sending Lucy abroad to continue her education there. Oh, wait a minute. Has Lucy returned to Ghana? Did she come to our house with Lucy?
The thought made me open the door widely and invited her in. She looked happy to see me. I wanted to ask if she came to our house alone or with someone else, but I couldn't ask. She sat on my bed, while I stood there speechless in my boxer shorts and singlet. How I wished she wasn't Lucy's mum, but Lucy herself. "When your mum told me you were acting weird because you didn't get your school of choice, I became worried. I couldn't finish my food. I stopped eating and came here right away. You know, Lucy had the same way of protesting against my decisions. She would always lock herself up in the room and not come out for days. Yeah. It took persistent pleads before she opened the door. I'm glad her dad came for her. She was becoming uncontrollable." I sat beside her on the bed and listened to her long speech.
Eventually, she was able to convince me that it wasn't that bad to attend a mixed school. The part I didn't like about her advice was when she told me I would get an opportunity to make both male and female friends. I wish she knew what I had planned. I wish she knew that I had promised myself not to fall in love with any girl again. I wish I could tell her that I loved Lucy so much so that I would not be able to love any other girl aside from her. I wish she knew the only person who could mend my broken heart was Lucy. I wish I could also convince her to bring Lucy back to Ghana, but from what I heard her say, it would only take a miracle for that to happen. A miracle? Yes, a miracle. How do I make a miracle happen, so that I can get back my Lucy?
#to_be_continued

No comments:

Post a Comment